Micromosaic Brooch/Pendant 'Vatican Mosaic Studio-circa 1850' Depicting Pantheon
Oval micromosaic brooch and pendant, representing a view of Pantheon. Rome 1850's Vatican Mosaic Workshop. The "Vatican Mosaic Workshop, started up in 1727. Here the best mosaic artists that Rome boasted poured into. For most Grand Tour travelers, Rome was the last stop of the trip. Its squares and monuments have been immortalized by numerous artists in paintings and sculptures as well as small masterpieces such as micromosaics in which, besides objects of classic inspiration, reproductions are created of sights, common life, animals and flowers. These works astounded and fascinated travelers due to the precision of design, color tones and harmony of the composition. Support for micro mosaics was initially in copper, the stone or glass were used. The latter types were better adapted to mounting in gold or silver to transform simple plaquettes into necklaces, bracelets, brooches, earrings rings and pendants. During the first half of the 19th century it was customary for the ladies in the Grand Tour to have a parure in gold or gilt silver made of plaquettes in micro mosaic, each of which illustrated a different location. All of our jewels are certified by a certificate of authenticity attesting to their origin!